Through the Eyes of … the Preacher’s Wife
Posted by Jessica Cornelius
Holly is the wife of Pastor Steven Furtick of Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC. She is the mother to Elijah, Graham, and Abbey Faith. Holly never has a dull moment being the pastor’s wife of a rapidly growing church and the mother of two young boys and a baby girl. She loves going on dates with her husband, listening to her husband preach, scoring great deals at Charlotte’s many fine retail establishments, cooking, and playing with her kids. Make sure to check out Holly’s life on her blog and on on Twitter.
I have been blown away at how beautifully Holly has raised three very small children in an extremely fast growing church over the years. What God has done at Elevation is supernatural, and I truly believe one of the reasons is because He knew how humble Holly and Steven would be about it. Years ago, when I first met Holly, I remember thinking, “For such a young pastor’s wife, she is wise beyond her years!”
Watching the way she honors Steven has personally encouraged me to be better about honoring Bil. I also love how generous and thoughtful she is with her friends and staff. Everyone who knows Holly would agree that she is the queen of gift giving. You will love getting to know a little more about Holly in this interview.
1. What is your idea of the perfect vacation? A beach and a couple great books.
2. What special little things does your husband do or say to show you he loves you? Regular date nights where he leaves his phone at home.
3. If you could do one thing all day long, what would that be? I love to rest and relax with my husband. We love to sleep late, go out to lunch and go shopping together.
4. How do you expand your capacity for ministry? I must stretch myself within the giftings the Lord has given me. I remember that doing a lot does not necessarily mean I am doing things well. When I find myself in a place with no margin, I have no capacity to expand my ministry.
5. In what area of ministry do you serve? And what is you most creative idea you’ve done in the last year? I focus much of my time and energy into investing in and caring for the staff spouses of our church. I recently created care groups for all staff spouses at our church. These groups do not do a bible study together. They exist to keep spouses informed about things going on at Elevation as well as cared for, celebrated (showers, birthdays, sicknesses etc…), and prayed for.
6. How do you handle the expectations of being a Pastors’ Wife or Woman in Ministry? I try really hard not to compare myself to my other friends in ministry and focus on the things God has called and gifted me to do. I try to be the best Holly Furtick, pastor’s wife of Elevation Church, that I can be. I am also very upfront about who I am and what I feel God has called me to be at our church rather than allowing others to fit me into their definition of what a pastor’s wife should be and do.
If you are the preacher’s wife in your church, how you expand your capacity for ministry? Please share!
And if you aren’t the preacher’s wife, use this as an opportunity to thank these wives and women in our community … encourage them, and lift them up!